Thursday 26 May 2011

Carrot Cake Cupcakes

This probably wasn't the most ambitious of recipes, but it did make delicious cakes and gave me the perfect opportuntity to use my piping bags!
Before I started, I had been pretty worried that the icing was gonna be a disaster and that it would all go wrong, but as it turns out, I didn't have too much to worry about, and after a few practice runs I was icing like an almost-pro, or at least, icing a lot better than I'd expected.



The recipe which I like to use when making carrot cake, is one by Mary Cadogan, which I've stolen from the BBC Good Food Website and taylored to my own needs (Check out the original here: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3229/yummy-scrummy-carrot-cake)
I generally prefer to leave out the cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins which are usually found in Carrot Cakes, as I feel that they overpower the cake a little. But if you decide to make these by all means include the spices - some people find that they improve the cake!

Ingredients for Cake
  • 175g light muscovado sugar
  • 175ml sunflower oil
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 140g grated carrots (about 3 medium)
  • grated zest of 1 large orange
  • 175g self-raising flour
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder


To make twelve Cakes

*Pre-heat oven to
180C/Gas 4/fan 160C *

1. Pour the Sugar, Oil and eggs into a large bowl and mix together until fully combined.

2. To this mixture add the grated carrots and orange zest, and stir until the carrot is evenly spread throughout the mixture.

3. Sieve the flour and baking powder into the mixture and stir again until completely integrated.

4. Pour the mixture into cupcake cases until about 80% full, because these cakes don't rise too much, and put into the oven for 40-45 minutes.

5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for several hours until completely cool. (You can use a fridge if you want to speed this process up)




So this is how mine looked after they came out of the oven, and if you can see they've not risen too high, which allows plenty of space for icing!

For the Icing

You'll need a piping bag and a large(ish) nozzle either spikey or smooth - for want of a technical name! - and a hell of a lot of icing sugar, and a few dessert spoons of margarine.

With icing I always find that it's something which you've just got to keep mixing until you get it right, trial and error. Although the key rule is that you need a LOT more icing sugar than margarine. If you follow this then it should be fine, and you just keep adding icing sugar until the mixture becomes fairly stiff. (sorry I can't be more specific)


Here are my finished cakes - not bad eh? - I must admit I'm quite pleased with my little carrot cake cupcakes - escecially the mini cattots which I think look adorable.

Okay so that's it - Challenge One complete - see you next week for soft centred chocolate bites!

Happy Baking!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment