Thursday 9 February 2012

Carnation and Shooting Star Cupcakes


A couple of weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to try out sugar craft decorations and thought that flowers would be a good place to start. So after watching LOTS video's on YouTube, I decided to invest in a flower nail, which arrived last week. (for those of you who don't know, a flower nail is like a really really big drawing pin!)

I have to admit that I entered into this experiment with a bit of trepidation, as from experience, these sort of things are rarely as simple as they first appear - and this looked pretty difficult.

However, I gave it a go anyway and on Sunday I produced my very first sugar craft flowers. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. They actually turned out alright. Don't you think?
(If you want to learn how to do it yourself, check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRv5sQnr43k)

Since they turned out so well, I decided to make some cupcakes to put them on top of. Here they are...




I'm quite pleased with the overall effect of the cakes, although my icing could've perhaps been a little smoother, although this can easily be altered!

For the cakes, I used the normal recipe...

Ingredients

55g (2oz) Margarine
28g (1oz) Caster Sugar
55g (2oz) Self Raising Flour
1 egg
1stp Baking Powder
2tsp Vanilla Essence

Recipe

1. Mix the flour, sugar, egg and margarine together in a large mixing bowl for two to three minutes until fully combined.

2. To this mixture add the Vanilla essence and Baking powder and stir again until completely mixed.

3. Fill the muffin cases to just over half way.

4. Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 190C (180C Fan) Gas 5 until springy and a light golden colour.



Let me know what you think!

And until next time...

Happy Baking :)

X

No comments:

Post a Comment